Decorating the top of kitchen cabinets can be a daunting task, especially if you are starting from scratch. Luckily, Pinterest is a great resource for gathering inspiration and ideas to help you get started. By searching for keywords such as “top of kitchen cabinet decor”, you will find a plethora of images showcasing different styles, colors, and arrangements that you can use to get inspired.
To make the most out of your search, be specific with your keywords and try to narrow down your results to the particular style or theme you are aiming for. For example, if you are going for a rustic kitchen look, try searching for “rustic top of kitchen cabinet decor” or “farmhouse top of kitchen cabinet decor.” This will help you find images that align better with your personal style and taste.
Once you’ve collected a few images that you like, take some time to analyze the different elements that make them appealing. Consider factors such as the color scheme, texture, height, and balance of the decor, and try to identify any patterns or similarities between the images you’ve selected.
Keep in mind that inspiration doesn’t have to come solely from Pinterest. You can also find inspiration from magazines, home decor blogs, or even by taking a walk around your neighborhood and noticing what catches your eye in other people’s homes.
Consider Your Space
When it comes to decorating the top of your kitchen cabinets, it’s important to take into account the size and layout of your kitchen. First, assess the height and depth of your cabinets to determine the appropriate decor size. If your cabinets are shorter, you may want to opt for smaller decor items to avoid overwhelming the space. If your cabinets are taller, you may have more room to play with and can choose larger items or create larger groupings of decor pieces.
Additionally, consider the overall size of your kitchen. If you have a small kitchen, you may want to keep the decor simple and minimalistic to avoid making it feel cluttered. For larger kitchens, you can be bolder with your decor choices and have fun with incorporating different textures and colors.
Mix Textures and Heights
If you want to add character and style to the top of your kitchen cabinets, mixing textures and heights is a great way to achieve this. This technique creates visual interest and draws the eye up, which can make your kitchen feel more elegant and sophisticated. Here are some tips for how to use textures and heights to decorate the top of your kitchen cabinets like a pro:
1. Baskets: Baskets come in a variety of different textures, shapes, and sizes, which makes them perfect for decorating the top of your kitchen cabinets. You can use wicker baskets for a rustic or country look, or wire baskets for a more industrial vibe. Fill your baskets with greenery, such as ivy or ferns, or use them to store extra linens or kitchen supplies.
2. Vases: Vases are another great way to add texture and height to your kitchen cabinet decor. Choose vases in different shapes and sizes, and fill them with fresh or artificial flowers. You can also use vases as stand-alone decorations, or fill them with decorative objects like shells or beads.
3. Greenery: Adding plants or greenery to the top of your kitchen cabinets can bring life and warmth to your space. You can use small potted plants, succulents, or a mix of different greens to create a cohesive look. If you don’t have a green thumb, you can also use faux greenery, which looks just as beautiful and requires no upkeep!
4. Artwork: If you want to add some personality to the top of your kitchen cabinets, consider placing artwork up there. You can use small framed prints, paintings, or even large decorative plates. Just make sure that the art is hung securely, so it doesn’t fall and break!
5. Decorative Plates: Speaking of decorative plates, these can be a great way to create visual interest on the top of your kitchen cabinets. Use plates in different shapes, textures, and colors, and stack them in groups of two or three. You can also use a mix of plates and other decorative objects to create a layered look.
By mixing textures and heights, you can create a stunning display on the top of your kitchen cabinets. Remember to keep the scale of your objects in mind, and vary the sizes of your decorations to create a balanced look. With a little bit of creativity and experimentation, you can turn even the most awkward space into a show-stopping focal point!
One of the first things you want to keep in mind when decorating the top of your kitchen cabinets is to limit clutter. It can be tempting to fill up the entire space with decorative items, but this will only make your kitchen look cluttered and chaotic. Instead, choose a few statement pieces that complement the overall style and colors of your kitchen.
If you have a modern kitchen with clean lines and minimalistic design, choose a couple of statement pieces that are sleek and simple. For example, you can display a collection of white pottery or a set of minimalist sculptures. If your kitchen has a more traditional design, opt for vintage or antique pieces that add character and charm to your kitchen cabinets.
Whatever your style may be, it’s essential to keep in mind that less is more. Don’t overcrowd the space with too much decor, as this will detract from the beauty of your kitchen’s design and aesthetic.
Personalize with Meaningful Decor
When it comes to decorating the top of your kitchen cabinets, one of the best ways to infuse personality and style into your space is by showcasing personal items. These can include anything from cookbooks and heirloom dishes to artwork or sentimental objects. Not only do these items add character and warmth to your space, but they also make your kitchen feel like a true reflection of your unique style and personality.
If you’re unsure of where to start, consider gathering a few of your favorite items from around your home and experimenting with different ways to display them on top of your cabinets. You can also mix and match items with different textures, colors, and shapes to create a visually interesting and dynamic display.
Hanging artwork or photographs on the wall above your cabinets is another great way to personalize the space. Whether it’s a favorite family portrait, a piece of abstract art, or a collection of vintage posters, these items add personality and charm to your kitchen. Just be sure to choose artwork that complements the overall style and color scheme of your space.
And don’t forget about plants! Adding greenery to your kitchen is an excellent way to bring life and texture to the space. Whether you opt for a collection of small succulents or a full-sized potted plant, plants not only beautify your kitchen, but they also purify the air and improve overall well-being.
No matter what personal items you choose to display on top of your kitchen cabinets, make sure they speak to your unique style and personality. By infusing meaning into your decor, you create a space that feels truly personal, warm and inviting.